As from June 2019, passengers intending to travel between Nairobi and Mombasa can book and pay for the SGR Madaraka Express Train tickets using credit or debit card. Another added feature on the SGR booking website is being able to select the preferred seat. These are some improvements of the Madaraka Express train service as announced by Kenya Railways.
Below are other latest improvements on the SGR Train Service effective June 2019.
1) SGR Online Booking and Seat Selection Option
- In addition to Mpesa and Cash, passengers will as from June 2019 be able to purchase the SGR tickets online using a credit card or debit card. This is a good feature especially for international travelers who do not have Mpesa.
- Passengers will be able to select their preferred seats online.
- SGR Train booking will be open in advance of 60 days before the travel date.
2) Cancellation, Refund, and Rescheduling of Tickets
- Travelers can request for a refund which will be issued at the point of purchase 48 hours (Individuals) or 72 hours (Groups) before the time of travel. In this case, the refund will be 70% of the ticket price (30% fee is charged).
- Passengers can reschedule their train tickets for the same class 48 hours (Individuals) or 72 hours (Groups) before the time of travel. Rescheduling will attract a 10% fee of the original ticket price.
- Rescheduling is possible for the same departure and arrival point as in the initial ticket subject to seat availability.
- Tickets rescheduling can only be done once and refunds do not apply in this case.
- Damaged and defaced tickets will not be accepted for a refund or rescheduling.
3) Other points worth noting
- Passengers found traveling with an invalid ticket or without a ticket shall pay full fare for Nairobi to Mombasa with an additional 30% penalty.
- Ticket sales shall be closed 30 minutes to departure.
- Minors above three (3) years shall pay full fare.
- During booking, minors will be required to indicate the parent’s or guardian’s national identification card (I.D) or passport number.
- If traveling alone, minors shall be required to present a copy of the parent’s/ guardian’s national I.D/Passport.
- Each passenger will be allowed only two (2) pieces of luggage of maximum length and height of 1.6 meters. The total weight should not exceed 30 kilograms.
How and Where to get more information (Kenya Railways Contacts Details)
- Mobile: 0709 388 888 or 0709 388 887
- Twitter: @KenyaRailways_
- Facebook: Kenya Railways
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: metickets.krc.co.ke